There will be Carnage
Game: Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Genre: Arcade vehicular combat
Development Time: 80 hours
“There will be Carnage” is a single player first-person vehicular combat level set in a post-apocalyptic arena where the player must survive as long as they can in order to achieve a high score. The premise of the level is to earn points by destroying other cars and surviving the arena’s deadly hazards. This level is an arcade-style level where there is no end goal; instead, the player challenges himself and others by attempting to achieve the highest score. “There will be Carnage” is a Half-Life 2: Episode 2 level set outside of the Half-Life universe that uses the game’s assets to make the level feel dirty and post-apocalyptic.
- Create an arcade-style gaming experience
- Create an experience players will want to play over and over
- Giving life to the battle arena by changing it dynamically based on the player's score
- Player starts in a garage and is informed how to play. Once the player enters the vehicle, the match begins.
- There is no strict level flow since the player can drive through the arena as they see fit.
- Map changes dynamically based on the player's score to add challenge.
- When the player scores 150 points, the center of the arena opens up to reveal a death pit that kills anyone who falls in.
- When the player scores 250 points, flamethrowers on the side of the arena turn on, which shrinks the playable space further.
- When the player scores 350 points, exploding barrels fall from dispensers on the top of the arena onto certain sections of the map.
- There is no end goal for this level. Instead, players challenge themselves and others by trying to get a high score.
What Went Well
What Went Wrong
What I Learned